… it is always a surprise when you realise that another blogging year has come around. This time it’s a small milestone for me – Five years!
As always, I’d like to thank everyone who visits, links, downloads, feeds and especially comments on my blog. Although I started it to document my reading, I’d be misleading you if I said I didn’t strive to keep it up because of you lot! Thank you again.
What have I learned from my fifth year of blogging?
Again, it has confirmed that I am totally pretty useless at long-term challenges: This year, I planned to read the whole of Dorothy Dunnett’s Lymond Chronicles, half a book per month, but I got waylaid before I could get stuck into the second volume Queen’s Play. Likewise, despite Iain Banks being one of my favourite authors ever, I only managed to read two books here and here – but my plan to gradually (re)read all of Banks’s output remains in place as an ongoing occasional project. I don’t like to read too many similar books together these days, and I don’t plan to change.
Vive la variété!
* * * * * BLOGIVERSARY GIVEAWAY * * * * *
I always like to celebrate my blog’s anniversary with a giveaway, and this year is no exception. Going by the number of books I’ve given 10/10, or five out of five stars so far in 2013, I’ve chosen well for me and had an exceptional reading year to date.
So, I am offering three readers each one of my five star books. Just choose from the list below (with review and affiliate links) and say in commets why you’d like to read that book. The giveaway is open to any countries that The Book Depository cater to (or new/as new copy from Amazon if cheaper), and will close at noon on Friday, giving you five days to enter. Here are the choices:
- The Shipping News by Annie Proulx (re-read) – Review Buy
- Mrs Bridge by Evan S Connell – Review Buy
- The Explorer by James Smythe – Review Buy
- Diary of A Provincial Lady by E.M.Delafield – ReviewBuy
- Magda by Meike Ziervogel – Review Buy
- Tigers in Red Weather by Lisa Klaussmann – Review Buy
- The Wasp Factory by Iain Banks (re-read) – Review Buy
- The Great Gatsby by F Scott Fitzgerald (re-read) – Review Buy
- The Cleaner of Chartres by Salley Vickers – Review Buy
- Alex by Pierre Lemaitre – Review Buy
- Glaciers by Alexis M. Smith – Review Buy
- The Humans by Matt Haig – Review Buy
- Mr Loverman by Bernardine Evaristo – Review Buy
Good luck in the draw. I shall leave you with the wonderful song quoted at the top of this post, (although it is a bit depressing when you examine the lyrics). From David Bowie’s landmark Ziggy album – I give you Five Years from The Old Grey Whistle Test back in 1972…